Thursday, January 12, 2012

Anti Tator-Tot Casserole

Welcome to my first ever blog post.  I decided to start off by sharing one of my favorite things in life, food.  I like to cook and I like to eat.  I also like to feel good about the things I eat, so I like to take recipes that may not be so healthy or that contain a lot of processed foods, like tator tot casserole (which I really love!) and turn them into something that I feel good about putting into my body.  So here we go!

Ingredients

2 medium sweet potatoes
3 medium russet or other white potato
1 to 3 tbs of olive oil
salt and pepper

Cut the sweet potatoes into chunks coat with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Bake at 400 degrees for around 45 minutes.  They should look something like the picture below.




Ingredients part II

ground turkey or mushrooms

1 to 2 tbs olive oil
salt pepper
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp or so of garlic
1 tbs flour, I used soy
1 cup of milk, I used 1%

While the potatoes are roasting, brown the ground turkey or mushrooms (typically a can of cream of mushroom soup is involved in tatortot casserole) in the olive oil.  When brown, add salt, pepper, onion and garlic.  As well as any other spices you can think to throw in there.  When onions are translucent, sprinkle the flour in and cook for 30 seconds or so.  Add the milk and stir until bubbly and thickened.  Set aside if until potatoes are done.


When the potatoes come out of the oven, place them in a baking dish and pour the sauce mixture over it.  Some of my roasted potatoes didn't make it into this dish, because I really love roasted potatoes and they ended up in my mouth :)


Then top with a little shredded cheese and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment